Friday, July 15, 2011

An Eventful Night.

Tonight two very special things occurred. One dealing with the end of something, another signally rebirth. Both are very important to me as they have greatly influence who I am, and both are prominent fixtures in the popular culture of my generation. I could write two whole blog posts about these things individually, and I probably will, but for now I aim to write in the moment.

First the end.

At midnight tonight the film Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 was released to the general public, marking the supposed end of Harry Potter as a franchise in its current incarnation (I say "supposed" and "current incarnation" as I am a firm believer that we are not done with Harry Potter quite yet. There is simply too much money on the table with regards to the Harry Potter franchise that someone in some way will continue with the franchise. The storyline dealing with the character Harry Potter may have ended with this final film, but I am sure that the Harry Potter universe will continue to exist in one way, shape, or form. Indications of this are already present with J.K. Rowling recent announcing of Pottermore, and only time will tell what lies in the future for this beloved franchise, but I am sure it has a future). I, like many of my generation, am a huge Harry Potter fan. Ever since I began reading the series at the age of 11, I have grown up with the books and, like many others, feel a strong connection with the story and the universe. Whenever I think about the fact that the Harry Potter universe is a fictional place, one that doesn't and will never exist, always out of reach despite it feeling so close, I actually get saddened. The fact that the Harry Potter universe doesn't exist in reality puts me into slight despair. No other fictional entity has done this to me before and I think this notion adequately demonstrates my love for Harry Potter and all it is and represents. I don't really know how to convey my fandom for the series anymore than this.


I doubt it will ALL end.

With that being said, the final movie was not a life-defining moment for me. I was not one of those in the theater crying throughout the film (a reaction I understand, there are some out there who are even more attached to the franchise than myself, in many cases a lot more) and the ending of Harry Potter marks the end of a cultural-phenomenon. A piece of my generation is now over (again, for the time being). For me, this feeling was more prevalent during the release of the 7th and final book back in 2007, so the movie was a nice extension of the Harry Potter universe, but it was not the end of it. The film itself was decent enough, probably the best Harry Potter film since the Deathly Hallows Part 1. If you're a fan of  Harry Potter you'll thoroughly enjoy it, and if you're not a fan of Harry Potter then you should be. There really isn't anything more to be said about it. You pretty much have to have been sold on Harry Potter in some capacity (either through the books or the films) to enjoy this movie (and you definitely have to be familiar with the last film in order to know what's even going on in this one). Finally, despite this being the end of a storied franchise, it featured a lot of personal firsts. This was the first time I went to a midnight screening of a movie, or at least I think so, I may have went to see Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith at midnight but I don't really remember (I drink), but this was definitely the first time I waited outside the theater for a movie for more than 20 minutes (our screening was at 12:30, my group got to the theater around 9:30). It was also my first time seeing a movie in 3D, so that was exciting as well.

Onto rebirth.

Tonight also saw the release of Blink-182's new single "Up All Night" which is to be on their forthcoming album to be released sometime later this year. Blink-182 is one of those bands (like many I write about on here) which I consider to have had a major influence on my youth and therefore on who I am today. While I have never been an extensive Blink fan, only really getting into their music from Enema Of The State onwards, Mark, Tom, and Travis have always held a prominent spot in my CD player, my computer playlist, or my iPod. They're a part of  that mid-90s/early 21st century group of pop-punk bands whose music dealt with the lifestyles and attitudes of white suburban teenagers (so pretty much my exact demographic). In their popular music leanings a lot of Blink's songs are catchy and easy to listen to at any time, while the punk genre is present in some of their more meaningful songs and in Blink's attitudes towards society, relationships, youth, and life in general. I could go on to discuss which songs in particular meant a lot for me and why but I won't bore you with that here (I'll save it for another post). Ever since the band went on an "indefinite hiatus" back in 2004 I have followed the acts that came about - Mark and Travis's +44 and Tom's Angels & Airwaves, but the music scene really did not feel right without Blink proper. In 2009 Blink-182 announced that they were getting back together and with the release of this new single, the fact that a new Blink album is on the horizon is readily apparent and highly exciting.

Blink-182 circa 2001's Take Off Your Pants And Jacket. A couple years after the album's release was when I really started getting into their music.

"Up All Night" - despite having an ironic title: it being 4:30am as I write this - is a pretty catchy tune. It reminds me of Blink's 2004 self-titled album in sound and style, with obvious influences by Angels & Airwaves in the guitar riffs, breakdowns, and background ambiance. It's a solid track, and I am happy that Blink-182 is back. I have the privilege of seeing them play live in August, an event I am very excited for. I am hoping to get a better taste of what their new album may have in store at the concert. Having Blink back is like renewing a relationship with an old friend. He may have changed a bit in style and appearance, but at the core it's the same person. I welcome Blink back into my life. In a lot of ways they have never left.

No comments:

Post a Comment