Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Fall Playlist.

It's been a while.

Change is in the air. Literally and figuratively speaking. In the literal sense the "air", or atmospheric conditions, are changing as Summer gives way to Fall (and I couldn't be more excited, I love the Fall). This change however also marks quite the change in who I am and must become as an individual over the next 12 months and beyond. Entering my 4th (and final?) year of university, starting a new job, unsure of what lies in my not-too-distant future, and trying to figure out my academic, social, personal, and professional life all at the same time will make this year quite an anxiety-inducing, and exciting, but ultimately interesting one (or so I hope). 

As always, music is on my mind and with the changes in weather and life circumstances I also feel that my iTunes could use a new musical boost. I've refrained from buying new albums for a while now (due to a lack of employment and the moneys) but now that I once again have a job that problem has been solved. Time for new music! 

Hollerado

I first heard of this band while at this year's Edgefest. I saw their set and thought they were pretty good musicians and their show was entertaining and fun (they get bonus points due to their copious use of confetti). My only knowledge of the band's music prior to seeing them live was the Rogers commercial that they were featured in. At the end of their set they made some joke at the expense of A Perfect Circle (who were then just starting on the main stage) and how they had never heard of that band before or any of their music for that matter. I thought that was  funny as I also had never heard of this band before, despite a lot of people at Edgefest being really excited that they were playing. I also found the comment to be a bit obnoxious, this relatively unknown band ripping on an (apparently) big-name band currently playing to a crowd probably six times (it was probably more) the size that they just played to. However I soon learned that Hollerado don't take themselves too seriously and actually seem like genuinely fun guys. 

Despite not knowing of the band prior to Edgefest, it seemed like in the days and weeks afterwards I couldn't get away from them. Their music started appearing everywhere and I got really into it. I liken them to the band Weezer in musical styling and ability to release hit singles without much appreciation for the rest of the album on the part of the general public. I did some research on the band and their "Meet the Mayor Tour" and decided that Hollerado was for me, so I picked up their album Record In A Bag (which literally was the album in a sealed plastic bag with stickers and a tattoo and other goodies inside) last week and have been loving their music ever since. I can see this band going places in the future, they will be one to watch.


Hollerado's awesome music video for "Americanarama"

The Joy Formidable

I can't remember the last time I have been as excited for a band as I currently am with The Joy Formidable (TJF). Yes, I was quite excited for Foster The People a few months back but that was mainly because I wanted to see if my prophecy of them becoming the band/having the single of the summer would come true (which I believe it did, their single "Pumped Up Kicks" went Platinum in the U.S. and NBC's Nightly News even covered the band a few weeks ago pretty much affirming what I had predicted - I just wish I could find the clip to share). My association with TJF is less exciting than it is for Hollerado, I pretty much was watching an interview with Blink-182's bassist Mark Hoppus and he mentioned that we was really into the band so I decided to check them out. So I did and I love it and I will buy their album as soon as I can. I don't know how well this band will do though, in terms of mainstream appeal, it really is hard to tell. It's unfortunate that a lot of indie-alternative bands of TJF's variety never really make it out of the indie scene, only known in obscurity and maybe have a large following in a couple cities. But, I love them and you should too. As soon as I can find their album somewhere I will pick it up (they aren't really featured in many Canadian record stores I've found) and if all else fails, I'll suck it up and buy the digital version. 


The Joy Formidable's "Whirring". Listen and love it.

Blink-182

I've already spoken about this band a couple times on my blog so I'm not sure what else needs to be said. I saw them live for the first time a few weeks ago and despite my initial hesitations, they put on an awesome show. It really was mind-blowing. Their new album Neighborhoods is set to be released on September 27th and will be a day-one purchase for me. 


Blink-182's sorta-stupid music video for "Up All Night". If they were trying to "wow" the world with their return, this video is definitely far from doing that. It doesn't really matter in the end I suppose, people will buy the album regardless. We  all just love Blink too much.

So there you have it! Three bands and three albums that will soon be on my musical playlist for the Fall. There are other bands I'm currently digging, and new ones will emerge. I love discovering new music and there will be other artists that catch my eye as this discovery tends to happen on a daily basis. For now though these are the big three and I hope in enjoyed reading about, listening to, and watching the new music I am currently into!

No comments:

Post a Comment